| Institute of Software Engineering and Programming Languages
Faculty of Engineering, Computer Science and Psychology
89069 Ulm, Germany
| Thom Frühwirth is the designer of the programming
language and formalism Constraint Handling Rules (CHR) and author of the book
by the same name. He has co-authored two leading textbooks
on constraint programming and
reasoning that became standard references for the research area.
His research in computational logic has also contributed to type theory
and spatio-temporal reasoning.
He has published more than 180 research papers with more than 4000 citations.
To date, he has served on more than 90 program committees.
He has given more than 90 invited talks. He has been involved in more
than 15 publicly funded research
He is a long-time member of the examination board and of the PhD committee for Computer Science.
He also served on the examination board for Cognitive Systems.
Thom Frühwirth teaches and publishes since 30+ years. He obtained his Ph.D. in Computer Science at the Technical University of Vienna in 1990, after visiting the State University of New York at Stony Brook with a one-year Fulbright grant and after an invitation to the Weizmann Institute of Science. Then he was a researcher at the European Computer Industry Research Centre in Munich. In 1996, he joined the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich. There he became assistant professor in 1998 and subsequently held visiting positions at the universities of Pisa, Monash Melbourne, PUC Rio de Janeiro, and at the CWI research center in Amsterdam. Since 2002 he has been professor at Ulm University, Germany. [Full CV, as of 2005].
Computational logic, Rule-based programming, Constraint logic programming, Program analysis, Constraint reasoning.
Constraint Handling Rules
Kowalski: Logic for
Problem Solving, Revisited
Tsang: Foundations of
Betz: A Unified Analytical
Foundation for CHR
- New research papers, June 2017.
- It was twenty years ago today...Classic Textbook "Constraint-Programmierung" by Frühwirth/Abdennadher published in 1997.
- Parallelism, Concurreny and Distribution in Constraint Handling Rules: A Survey (Draft), April 2017.
- Constraint Handling Rules (CHR) bibliography and news blog, January 2017.
- Current Research Topics and Theses, December 2016.
- Frühwirth's talk on CHR applications online at TIB (in German), October 2016.
- Analyse&Predict: Simple Online Instant Data Analysis Tool to explore csv spreadsheets, June 2016.
- Talk on CHR Applications has more than 1000 views (German with English slides), March 2016.
- Program committee member of 3rd Global Conference on Artificial Intelligence (GCAI 2017),
Miami, USA, 18-22 October 2017.
Visitors 2016: Prof. Carmen Gervet, Prof. Sanjiva Prasad, Prof. Henning Christiansen, PhD. Maja H. Kirkeby, Prof. Slim Abdennadher.
- 5 years ago:
Compiling CHR to Parallel Hardware, 2012.
|Currently teaching this semester|
Thom Frühwirth, June 2, 2017. This page is part of a multi-frame html document.